21 Blogs for Novice Gardeners on How to Create the Best Spring GardenMarch 17, 2013 | in Housekeeping
As spring approaches, those who garden or want to garden start getting the itch to get into the soil and plant something. Check with your local garden center to find out when the last frost date is expected, so that you know when it’s safe to start planting your garden. In the meantime, you can be cleaning up the garden and creating new beds. If you plant seeds inside, you will have a jumpstart on the season and save money. Seeds are far cheaper than buying starter plants from the greenhouse. Once you prepare the garden and plant your seeds you will need to know how to care for the plants. These 21 blogs will take you through all of the necessary steps for creating the best spring garden.
After the winter, you may have dead plants and weeds that need to be removed from your garden. These clean-up measures are your first step if you have an existing garden. If you want to start a brand new garden, you will need some tips on how to find the best location for your bed. You will want to take some time to watch how much sun the area gets and to make sure that you have access to water. Look through these seven blog entries to learn how to prepare your garden for spring planting.
- Spring Gardening Tips: Preparing Your Garden for Planting Take care of any weeds you might have and repair any raised beds before adding compost to your garden.
- Start Your Spring Garden Prep Now Sharpen your tools and plan your beds and containers.
- Preparing for Your Spring Garden Take care of any bugs in your garden and clean up your beds in preparation for spring planting.
- List of Steps to Prepare for Your Spring Garden If you are starting a new garden, this blogger explains how you can find a place and clear the grass to till the soil.
- Get Ready for Spring Gardens with DIY Planters During the late winter and early spring you can start seeds in whatever kind of containers you might have.
- Get Ready to Garden—5 Tips for Spring Suggestions on how to determine a location for your new garden are discussed, as well as ways to prepare an established bed.
- Preparing Your Garden for Spring Tips are shared for clean-up of the beds and lawn to get the ground ready for spring growing.
Selecting the Plants
Once your garden is weed free, the compost is added and it’s tilled, it’s time to select your plants. You may have started seeds inside during the winter, and if that’s the case you can transplant those seedlings into the actual garden after the last frost. For a flower bed, you will need to consider the height of the plants to make sure that you plant the tall ones in the back and short ones in the front. Take a hint from the label that’s in the plant; if it says it would be a great border plant, then plant it in front because it will be short. Check out these seven blog posts for more tips about selecting the right plants for your spring garden.
- Gardening Tips: Native Plants for the Home Landscape A general article about the benefits of planting native plants in your beds.
- Early Spring Flowers A long list of early spring flowers is explained, along with beautiful pictures of each flower to help you decide what to plant.
- 7 Must-Have Seeds for Your 2013 Veggie Garden Find an explanation of what seeds will grow well in your garden this spring.
- 4 Steps to Starting a Vegetable Garden Learn how to determine which seeds you should plant and how to plant them.
- How to Plant Your Own Spring Garden Germinate your seeds in a wet paper towel and let the kids help you move them into a cardboard egg carton, then into the garden.
- Starting Your Spring Garden Tips about speeding up seed germination and using starter plants in your garden can be found in this article.
- How to Plant… Just the Best Tips to Work with Mother Earth Beginner tips on how to plant a successful spring garden.
Care of the Garden
Once you have tilled the garden, chosen the plants and planted them, you must know how to care for your plants so that they grow to maturity. Whether you’ve planted a flower garden or a vegetable garden, you will need to know how to fertilize the plants and get rid of the weeds and bugs. These seven blog posts can help.
- Caring for the Garden in Spring Many tips are shared about fertilizing and taking care of pests.
- Caring for a Spring Garden Pruning and taking care of slugs and other pests are discussed in this article.
- Mid-Spring Garden Guide What to Do in the Yard & Garden Find a comprehensive list of what you should be doing to care for your garden come mid-spring.
- Caring for the Garden Throughout Spring Suggestions about fertilizer types based on different plants can be found on this post.
- Spring Gardening Post #3 Information about how to care for tomato plants, whether starting from seed or plant can be found in this article.
- Garden Chores for March Various spring tasks are explained.
- Indoor Seed Starting You can find a lot of information about seeds and germination times on this blog entry.
One Response to 21 Blogs for Novice Gardeners on How to Create the Best Spring Garden
Search for Housekeepers
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012