24 of the Greatest Blogs Highlighting Potato Salad Recipes for Those Memorial Day PicnicsJune 5, 2013 | in Housekeeping
Summer is coming, and with it comes warm nights spent out on the patio eating dinner or picnicking at the lake. Potato salad is a traditional picnic food, but it’s gotten a bad rap over the years because it can spoil if left out in the heat too long. Although many people believe it’s the mayo that causes the salad to go bad, more often it’s the stuff mixed with it that makes it spoil. If you will be staying close to home or eating dinner in a cool, air-conditioned house, then a traditional potato salad recipe may be just what the addition your meal needs. But if you will be eating al fresco, you might want to try one of the tasty alternatives that allow you to enjoy potato salad sans the spoilage. Check out these 24 blog articles that share various potato salad recipes.
The traditional potato salad recipe includes boiled potatoes cut into chunks, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and hard-boiled eggs. Some people also like to mix in some mustard with the mayonnaise to give the salad a tangy twist. Take a look at these six blog posts for a new recipe to try this year.
- Ranch Potato Salad with Bacon and Eggs The ranch flavoring and the bacon might not be exactly traditional, but it’s such a delicious combination that it may quickly become a new staple.
- Summer Red Potato Salad with Egg & Simple Cole Slaw Try this classic recipe for a summer salad favorite.
- Recipe: Mom’s Potato Salad This recipe makes a lot of potato salad, so plan on serving it to a crowd.
- Potato Salad While there is a little French dressing in this mayonnaise based potato salad, it is primarily a traditional recipe.
- Recipe: Potato Salad This recipes puts a fun spin on the traditional potato salad recipe by adding in carrots and celery.
- Traditional Potato Salad Made with small diced potatoes, mayonnaise, eggs, salt and pepper, this recipe is the basic recipe most people use for potato salad.
Unlike the American version, German potato salad is served warm or at room temperature. It also usually does not have a mayo-based dressing. Because of this, these types of warm potato salad work well for picnics or potlucks where the salad will be sitting out for a long period of time. To learn how to make a warm potato salad, check out these six blog entries.
- Warm Baby Potato Salad with Baby Aubergines and Eggs Potatoes and eggs may be standard in potato salad recipes, but this delicious recipe is anything but typical.
- Potato Salad from Iowa This German potato salad is served warm and uses vinegar and bacon fat in the dressing.
- Lemon and Chive Warm Potato Salad The light dressing used here allows the potatoes to absorb all of the flavors incorporated in this dish.
- Warm Potato and Black Chickpeas Salad This Indian recipe is a variation on the traditional recipe that is served warm.
- Recipe: German Potato Salad Sautéed onions and cooked bacon make up a lot of the flavor in this warm dish.
- Hot Potato Salad Recipes The potato salad featured in this post marries both American and German versions by incorporating hard-boiled eggs and bacon fat.
With a Twist
Like with many other traditional recipes, people love to put their own signature stamp on potato salad. If you’re looking for a new take on an old favorite, take a look at the variations that these bloggers have created.
- Egg and Potato Salad with Smoke Salmon and Gherkins + Homemade Infused Olive Oil This recipe focuses on incorporating whole foods for a delicious and interesting twist.
- Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Salad By making the simple swap of sweet potatoes in place of regular potatoes, the nutritional content of this salad increases.
- Recipe: Greek Style Potato Salad Made with Greek yogurt, this salad preserves the tangy taste found in mayonnaise while being much lighter than traditional potato salads.
- Japanese Potato Salad Cucumbers, carrots and potatoes make this potato salad slightly different than the traditional fare.
- Bella’s Moroccan-Spice Sweet Potato Salad Sweet potatoes and maple syrup make this potato salad recipe a fun and flavorful option.
- Loaded Potato Salad Recipe Using cheese, sour cream and bacon in this potato salad recipe make it taste like a loaded baked potato in salad form.
Whether you are allergic to dairy or just don’t like mayonnaise, there are still ways to enjoy potato salad. These mayo-free recipes also work well for those times when your potato salad will need to sit out for an extended period of time and you are worried about it spoiling. Take a look at these six blog posts to find a recipe for your next picnic.
- Sweet Mustard and Bacon Potato Salad This gourmet style potato salad uses a salad dressing made with mustard as the sauce instead of mayonnaise.
- Recipe: Creamy Buttermilk-Herb Potato Salad The eggs and mayonnaise are nixed in this recipe, but even with these changes it’s very similar to a traditional potato salad.
- Dairy Free Potato Salad This is a smart option for those that want the traditional potato salad, but can’t tolerate dairy products.
- Hold the Mayo: 6 Great Potato Salad Recipes Without Mayonnaise There are several variations on the traditional potato salad offered in this post.
- Easy Champagne Vinegar Red Potato Salad Because this recipes uses very few ingredients, it is easy to make and pack up for a picnic.
- Mayo-Free Potato Salad This salad has a spicy dressing and uses jalapenos for a kick.
Comments are closed.
Search for Housekeepers
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012